- Welcome to the wonderful World of Skynamo Analytics!
- Skynamo has a brand-new reporting API specifically designed to get your Skynamo data for the purpose of reporting. As well as a custom connector for Power BI specifically developed to use this new reporting API!
- Follow the steps in this document to gain access to the Skynamo Reporting API and to get and use the Skynamo Analytics Power BI Connector.
How to get access to the reporting API and the connector?
- The Skynamo Reporting API is free to use until October 2021!
- Log a request for access with Skynamo Support (firstname.lastname@example.org) or your Customer Success Member.
- You will be provided with
- Credentials to access your Skynamo data through the reporting API.
- The Skynamo Analytics custom connector file (SkynamoAnalytics.pqx).
- Thumbprint to trust the provided connector.
I have the connector, now what?
Have you heard of Power BI?
- This connector was specifically created for Power BI. Therefore, to use it requires the Power BI Desktop app or a workspace with access to the connector on Power BI Service.
- Power BI Desktop is easy to install, and no license is required if you are only developing reports for your own purposes.
- For a team to be able to access and use the connector to develop, share, and edit reports will require that each user has, at least, a Power BI Pro license. Read more about the licensing options here.
Where do I place the Skynamo Analytics Power BI Connector file?
- The Skynamo Analytics Power BI Connector is still in development. Therefore, the connector is expected to be changed and updated in the future. We strive to ensure that you always have the latest version of the connector.
- The below once-off setup will be done on a personal computer if only required for personal use.
- The below once-off setup will be done on the computer used for the Power BI On-Premises Data Gateway if it is to be used by a Team with workspaces on Power BI Service.
- The below setup is a Once-off required to be able to use the Skynamo Analytics Connector.
- Download and install Power BI Desktop
- Place the provided SkynamoAnalytics.pqx file in the below file path (create it if it does not exist):
- C:\…\Documents\Power BI Desktop\Custom Connectors
- Trust the provided connector (Admin rights on the computer is required)
a. Open the Registry Editor (Search in Start window)
b. Navigate to the following registry path, if it does not exist create it (Right-click on Microsoft, select New and Key):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Power BI Desktopc. Add a new value in the above registry path:
- Right-click in the white block to the right
- Select New Multi-string Value
• Name: "TrustedCertificateThumbprints"
• Type: "Multi-String Value" (REG_MULTI_SZ)
- Right-click on "TrustedCertificateThumbprints" and select Modify and paste the Provided Thumbprint.
- Open Power BI Desktop.
- Select the connector under Other using Get Data
- Connect to the Skynamo Reporting API.
- The first two inputs are required to access the Skynamo Reporting API (OAuth2) and are specific to your Skynamo Instance.
- The last two inputs are optional:
- If Reporting Period is not provided it defaults to the last 30 days.
- If Financial Year start date is not provided, then it defaults to 1 January.
- The Navigator Page shows all 16 tables. To select the tables to include:
- Click on the name, example: 01. Users.
- Set the required filters, example: set “Users Are Active” to true to only see the active users. (NB: If you do not select a filter, the data will NOT load!)
- Click Apply to preview the data.
- Click on the Radio Button to the left of the name, example: 01. Users, to choose to include the table in your selection.
- Repeat the above for all the tables you want to include.
- Click on Load to load the selected tables into Power BI Desktop.
- Create a report with the selected tables.
- If required publish the report to Power BI Services.